The final version of greenpois0n has been released. This is the version that includes the AppleTV 2G which was not included in the previous release candidates. Installation was really really simple. For this jailbreak you’ll need the power cord, Apple remote and microUSB cable. The instructions are as follows:
- Start greenpois0n. And click Jailbreak
- Plug in the microUSB cable first.
- Plug in the power cable.
- Press Menu and Play on the Apple Remote for 7 seconds.
- After a minute it should complete. Don’t disconnect the AppleTV right away. It will need a minute to build a ramdisk.
- After an appropriate amount of time you can unplug the AppleTV and reconnect it to your TV.
Once I connected it to the TV and let it boot I was presented with a new menu option to install the payload software. Make sure your internet connection is on and run the script to install Cydia and NitoTV. After Cydia is installed the AppleTV should reboot again and the greenpois0n menu option should disappear and nitotv will be in its place. Now you can install software (like XBMC-ATV2) with just a click.
One problem I did have was that XBMC didn’t install. You can connect to your AppleTV using SSH root:alpine is the default username and password. Run the command below to install it.
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Note, that it might throw an error at the end. You can ignore this because it will be installed and fully functional. The TV menu should change but if not you can restart it by sending a killall AppleTV to restart the GUI.